Fairtrade offers producers a least amount Price for their honey and links beekeeper-run cooperative directly with Fairtrade buyers, cutting out middlemen and pave the way for longer term sustainability.
Fairtrade Standards for honey
Fairtrade Standards for honey include:
• Producers are little family farms organized in cooperatives which they own and govern democratically.
• The Fairtrade price is paid straight to the producer cooperatives.
• Environmental standards confine the use of agrochemicals, ban genetically modified plants, and encourage sustainability.
• Pre-harvest lines of credit are given to the cooperatives if request, of up to 60% of the purchase price.
• No forced or child labor.
A Fairtrade Premium is included in the pay for price and is used by cooperatives for social and economic money such as education, health services, processing equipment, and loans to members.