Fairtrade International the largest certified of Fair Trade products worldwide just released its 2012-13 Annual Report. The 20-page report is one of the best sources of worldwide statistics on producer organization, smallholder worker, retail sales by nation and product type, and more…..
This edition is the 1st such FLO yearly report that excludes activity from Fair Trade USA, which left the FLO system at the end of 2011.
Top Ten highlights include:
• Over 1.3 million farmers and workers in 70 countries in world are part of 1,149 Fairtrade producer organizations
• In addition to sales income, these producer groups benefitted from around 80 million Euros in Fairtrade Premium money in 2012.
• Consumer sales increased considerably in key markets, including: Germany (33 %), the Netherlands (26%), Sweden (28 %), Switzerland (15 %), and UK (16 %).
• Excluding the USA, average sales in all other Fairtrade markets increased by over (20 %) compared to 2011.
• Consumers showed their support for Fairtrade by spend 4.8 billion Euros on Fairtrade products in 2012.
• Fairtrade products became available in Kenya and will be available in India later on this year, providing consumers in those markets the chance to buy Fairtrade products from Fairtrade producers in the same nation.
• Nespresso, Ben and Jerry, and Maltese have made major new commitment with Fairtrade.
• The Fairtrade Access Fund has given US$5.65 million in loans to small producer organization in Latin America to address their most pressing economic needs.
• More than half of All bananas sold in Switzerland retail chains are from Fairtrade producers, and over 40 % of sugar bags in the UK bear the FAIRTRADE Mark. Globally, sales of Fairtrade flowers grew by over 50 %.
• Over 30,000 Fairtrade products are now sold in more than 125 countries in international.